Sunday, November 8

Fairmount Park Home: Woodford House




Miniature china painting

Portrait

Kitchen Table

English pottery

Front Parlor

I was walking down the drive today to East Falls and back through Fairmount park when I noticed the Woodford House had an open flag hanging out front. I don't think I've ever saw the house before, even though I worked down the street at the recreation center one summer.
Second Story Addition Model

They charge $5 for a tour of the 11 rooms, but even though I had no cash, Bill, the guide was nice enough to give me a tour anyway (I'll send them a check). I've toured houses in Charleston, but this was my first Fairmount Park house tour.



I was particularly interested in the furniture and woodwork in the house. There's Georgian and Federal styles, depending on which wing of the house you are walking in. All of the furniture is period, non-reproduction.


The yellow pine floors had dowels inserted laterally to keep the wood in place, and the wood has worn away in heavily trafficed places to show the dowel.


Bench that converts into a Table

Miniature Boxes

Period Fake Mahogony Finish Applied to Woodwork

No comments: